Everyone knows that drinking enough water is vital to our body and mind, right?
When you’re not well hydrated, your stress levels go up—your mood changes. Your thinking gets confused, and mild to severe reactions can occur – the same way when you lack sleep.
If you feel any of these symptoms or just in a bad mood, it may be linked to the fact that you need to drink more water.
How much do you drink? Do you forget to drink enough water during the day even though it may be a healthy goal?
Remember that our bodies are over 60% water, but it also loses that water regularly – every part of us needs hydration to stay healthy and function without glitches.
REASONS WHY YOU NEED TO DRINK ENOUGH WATER
There are many ways to stay hydrated and stay healthy! Here are a few reasons why you should make sure you drink enough water.
1. FEEL GOOD
When you stay hydrated, your organs function properly. You can perform physically, mentally, stabilize your mood, and feel good.
2. GLOW YOUR SKIN
When you drink enough water, you contribute to the production of collagen. It doesn’t prevent wrinkles (unfortunately), but staying hydrated improves the skin’s elasticity and gives you a nice healthy plump glow!
3. PROTECT YOUR KIDNEYS
Your kidneys flush waste from your blood – that’s their job. But if you don’t drink enough water, they can’t function properly, which, if taken to extremes, can result in kidney failure.
4. HELPS YOU TO THINK CLEARLY
When you drink enough water, it keeps your brain in check.
If the brain lacks hydration, it’s affected in numerous ways, including your mood, clarity, and memory,
5. REGULATES BODY TEMPERATURE
If you live in a hot climate or do intense physical activities, you will need to drink more water to regulate your body temperature.
6. PROTECTS YOUR INNER BODY
When you stay hydrated, you’re also protecting your joints and spinal cord. Enough water keeps them lubricated, creating cushion-like protection.
7. KEEPS YOU IN A GOOD MOOD
Well, other things may ruin your day, but if you don’t drink enough water, the effects can include stress, confusion, and you’ll feel tired.
All of which affect your mood.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU’RE DEHYDRATED?
Your body needs fluids to function correctly. Dehydration is when your body loses more water than it takes in, and this can cause health problems.
Some signs of dehydration include :
- feeling very thirsty,
- dizziness, confusion,
- irritable mood
- feeling very tired.
- dry mouth
Dehydration occurs when you don’t drink enough water.
Beware of certain situations, for example, if you have diabetes or take diuretics. Also, if you’ve been too long in the sun or if you sweat a lot after intense exercise.
Drinking too much alcohol can also lead to dehydration.
Drink more water when the temperatures soar or when doing intense physical activities.
Older people must drink enough water. They naturally feel less thirsty and therefore aren’t always able to tell when they need rehydration.
Babies and Infants also need special attention. If they are irritable, cry without wet tears, seem tired all the time, or don’t pee every few hours, it may be a sign of dehydration and requires immediate attention.
HOW TO MAKE SURE YOU DRINK ENOUGH WATER?
The exact amount of water depends on many things, including living in extreme temperatures, your age, and if you are ill, among other factors.
For most healthy individuals, and according to the Mayo Clinic, 8 glasses of water is easy to remember.
Some people need more, some less. But we all need to stay hydrated.
Here are a few ways you can get your water in:
- Buy a tall water bottle or a couple of smaller ones and write the times you need to drink along the sides. Take your pretty water bottle everywhere you go!
- Even warm water has its benefits, especially when you drink it in the morning. Try squirting some lemon in your glass. It makes it taste great, and you’ll drink enough water without realizing it.
- Sodas and other sugary drinks do not count as healthy water intake. On the contrary, they can sap your energy and cause other health problems.
- If you don’t like the taste of water, you can spice it up with different natural flavors. Maybe put in a sprig of fresh mint or a slice of lime.
- Use your imagination!
- Have your phone with you almost always? Put it to good use and try out an app like Drink Water Reminder to help you stay hydrated.
OTHER SOURCES OF WATER
Put other sources to the test and find your best way to drink enough water.
- Mix in sparkling water into your water bottle for a nice twist. Add a slice of orange.
- Eat more water-filled fruits like watermelon, cucumbers, celery, lettuce, strawberries, cantaloupes.
- Put some cut-up fruit into your water bottle to give it a pleasant subtle fruity taste.
- Drink more herbal teas. Or reap the benefits of drinking plain warm water.
WHY RISK IT?
Many of us don’t realize how important it is to drink enough water.
As living beings, our bodies cannot survive without consistently drinking this precious fluid.
When we get extremely dehydrated, we can experience all sorts of health complications, from mild confusion to impaired brain performance needing immediate medical attention.
Even if you’re just a little dehydrated, it impacts your brain and physical performance.
So why risk it?
Have a nice drink of water. And repeat often.